Hi friends! Dang, January is really flying by. Has it really been an entire month since I was stuffing my face with Christmas cookies and candy canes? #memories. Now I’m on Day 1 of Week 2 of Whole30 and let me tell you, cookies and candy seem like a distant memory. RIP added sugars and carbs 😦
In reality, it really hasn’t been that bad. A quick recap of what Whole30 is: No added sugar, no carbs, no dairy, no gluten, no soy, (no fun) for 30 days. Basically you’re supposed to live off of meats and things that grow out of the ground for a month. It honestly sounds like my worst nightmare, considering that I live off of carbs and sugars (hellooooo Ice cream ❤ ❤ ❤ ) but it’s a lot better than I thought. I made a decision in the first few days that I’d be doing “Mostly30”, which is a personal modified version of what I should actually be doing. It pretty much just means that I’m steering clear of things that clearly cross the line: think chips, cookies, candy, pasta, dairy products etc., but that I’m giving myself a little wiggle room so that I don’t completely crack and binge on 3 pizzas. My two “cheat” snacks have been 1. Coconut Crunch: it’s sort of like caramel popcorn, but WAY healthier. The little bag of it has 65 calories, 9.5g of carbs and 5g of sugars. But it’s also gluten free and non-GMO, two things that are big no-nos for Whole30, which is why I convinced myself it’s ok. The other snack is Coconut Bliss – it’s pretty much just ice cream, and I am OBSESSED. It’s dairy free, soy free, gluten free and vegan. My fave flavor (dark chocolate) has 200 calories per serving, 21g of carbs and 15g of sugar. The people at Whole30 who come up with the diet would prob hunt me down and kill me if they saw that I was writing this, but LET ME LIVE.
Things I’ve noticed in my first week of Whole30:
- I don’t really have a strong craving for carbs or sweets often, but I do crave meat/protein a LOT more than I used to
- Apple slices and almond butter are a really great snack and fill you up
- My grocery bill is higher (I’m hoping that this is only because I didn’t have any of the major things like coconut flour, paleo mayo or any of the spices that these recipes call for aka the next time I go it’ll be lower…)
- I haven’t noticed a huge change in my energy level, but I HAVE noticed that my body has been naturally waking up before my alarm the last few days. I can’t decide if that’s a coincidence or not yet. TBD I guess.
- Going out to eat is REALLY FREAKING HARD, DUDE. Like forreal, the only thing I can order is grilled chicken, no sauce. This is especially annoying now that I’m single and going on first dates bc I’m ordering food that some girl who has serious issues with food would order (awkward because I clearly do not look like that kind of girl) and the guys are all like, “uhmm are you sure you’re not hungry? That doesn’t look very filling…” like thanks for the reminder babe, as if I haven’t been drooling over your pasta bolognese this whole time and praying that the waitress doesn’t come over with a dessert menu. TRUE STORY: I went to a burger place with some guy last week, right? Keep in mind that this place is supposed to be legendary. I’m talking like, was on that show Guy Ferrari hosts. And you know what I ordered? A SALAD THAT ONLY CAME WITH LETTUCE AND CARROTS. Because I hate tomatoes and cucumbers, so I asked them to hold those. I’m still mad about it.
The biggest factor in all of this has been making healthy meals in bulk so that when I’m hungry, I can quickly grab something that I know is following my “diet” without freaking out over what it’s cooked with. That said, here are some of my fave recipes so far 🙂
1. Baked Buffalo Chicken Meatballs: Makes 20-22 balls, takes about 30-35 minutes from start to finish to make. Get the recipe here
2. Meatballs in Marinara Sauce Slow Cooker Recipe: Makes 6-8 servings, takes 4 hours and 15 minutes from start to finish to make. Get the recipe here
3. Crust-Free Hamburger Pie: Makes 8 servings, takes about 30 minutes to make from start to finish. Get the recipe here
Soooo I’m looking for new recipes… tried anything really delicious lately? Please send it my way! xo, AJ